Friday 7 January 2011

Resolute



I am what you might call a creature of habit. I get into a habit and pound away, day in, day, out, week in, week out, month in, month out, year in, year out. That, I fear is what I've been doing for the past three and a half years at least. Running is by far the only 'hobby' I've taken up and stuck with for any length of time, until now that is. I think I've actually managed to convince myself that I won't be able to get back to where I was a few months ago in terms of being able to run and not suffer ill effects or being able to race and get back to being able to better my times. That is, of course, apart from 28 years ago when I first ever took up running, well jogging actually, myself, my sister-in-law Tricia and (my husband's, cousin's wife!) Edwina all purchased black and white track suits and began 'jogging'. We signed up for the Calverley fun run, 4 miles I think. If my memory serves me correctly it nearly finished me off! We also signed up for the Otley half marathon, I'm afraid I backed out and another sister-in-law took part in my place, I still have a guilt feeling every time I think about it to this day. I'm sure there's some photos somewhere of us in those black and white tracksuits but I think I'd prefer it if they stayed stored away!

So how do I get out of this hole I have dug for myself? I keep making promises to myself and for one reason or another they go out of the window. Illness and of course, adverse weather have both played a part, so I suppose I shouldn't dwell on it too much and take it one day at a time. I actually feel a little scared to get back to it now, the feeling is a little like when you were off school or work for a few days and then when you go back you feel like it's your first day all over again. Except in my situation I have reached a point where, without realising, my leg has been pain free, I'm not sure for how long but definitely pain free, so I'm mildly excited and I really don't feel like compromising that. I do realise I am going to have to do it at some point but plan to bide my time for now, be resolute and not rush things in the hope that I don't end up back to square one yet again (I'm also really tired of hearing myself say that yet again!).
(Incidentally looking out of the window it's once more snowing profusely so there's probably no going back on my decision to wait a little longer to run anyway!)

I'm still waiting confirmation of several cross training ideas which have been suggested by friends but continue to explore different options but one thing is for certain one of my New Year's Resolutions is most certainly to incorporate more variety into my training.

So I can now add the Pennine 10k, this coming Sunday to my list of uncompleted, planned races....... I think..........

No comments:

Post a Comment