Sunday 9 May 2010

Post London


Today I completed the Leeds Half Marathon in a time of 2:07:04 and really enjoyed it.

I wasn't sure if I had maybe entered this in error! I had heard so many stories of people having 'marathon blues' and being on a 'downer' following a marathon, so I booked it well before London along with the John Carr 5k series with thoughts that I would have something to focus on afterwards.

In a way I think I did the right thing as I didn't so much have 'marathon blues' but did feel that in light of so many months of training and the build up the marathon itself it seemed to be over so quickly when race day finally did arrive and I was left feeling somewhat shell shocked and bewildered! It is only now, a few weeks later, that the enormity of all that training in the snow, ice and general bad weather and then running 26.2 miles at the end of it has really sunk in. It could have turned out differently and I might not have been in any fit state to take part in the John Carr or Leeds Half but thankfully this was not the case and just short of a week after the marathon I was back at club and looking forward to getting back to my 'normal' training routines. So my advice is listen to your body and if you feel up to it - do it. Whilst I value other peoples advice greatly, it sometimes conflicts in all aspects of running so I tend to take note but then do what I think is right for me.

Speed and Hills session at club tomorrow so I'm going to have to reign myself in and take it easy, shouldn't be too difficult, or should it?

No comments:

Post a Comment