Tuesday 9 April 2013

The colour purple

After a couple of weeks of disrupted training which have led to panic attacks, feeling unwell, aches and pains and anything else I can think of I feel I'm now back on track once more. It really has been difficult to keep my mind on the job in hand this time around. Oh and preparations for an 18th Birthday party might not have helped! Securing his eligibility to run the London marathon for the first time Marc came of age last Friday.

I've also purchased replacement shoes.....Hoping that this time I have learned by my mistake. The colour was of course, of some influence as well as the fact that they are Nike Pegasus 29's!

My new purple bad boys!


Squeezing in a last long run of 21 miles at the end of training week 13 which should have been our first week of tapering really did go some way to ease my fears in my ability to actually complete the 26.2 miles. The weather took a turn for the better and it was a Spring like morning making for a very pleasant run from Greengates to East Riddlesden Hall and back. That is until Sunday.  The training plan recommended a 1 hour 30 minute run so I reckoned 10 miles would take us over that in training mode.  My darling husband confidently told me that to run to White Cross (Harry Ramsden's as it was) and back would be 10 miles.  Marc, Claire and I set off up the hill from Rawdon Meadows towards Guiseley.  Marc soon disappeared out of sight. I ambled on up the hill, getting warmer and warmer.  Not sure if it was the hill or it was actually that warm I puffed and panted my way up the hill, Claire getting further in front as we climbed.  Finally the road started to level and I started to feel a bit more comfortable although my legs still felt like they belonged to someone else. I never really got into the run and on reaching our turnaround point (I had yet again forgotten my watch) Claire announced it was only 3.66 miles. I asked her how she was feeling and she said she was fine.  I really couldn't bear the thought of going any further and having to come back.  She agreed to carry on alone whilst I turned back.  She is after all a week in front with her training plan since Manchester marathon is a week after London.

Running back alone my thoughts turned to how I was feeling right then and of course doubts began creeping in again - if I can't do 10 miles how the heck am I going to do 26.2?? Luckily by the time I got back to the start point I had reasoned with myself that I had had a particularly stressful week with the party organisation etc and it had most probably taken it's toll.  Marc had a good run but Claire, on returning, said she had struggled too, this tapering lark has a lot to answer for but I have faith in my Martin Yelling training plan!

Since it fitted in with the training plan I decided to carry on regardless and went to club the following day for our weekly Monday session with the intention of putting in some effort and seeing how I felt.  Much better as it turned out.  Here's hoping my pants run is out of the way and the next phase goes without a hitch.
Less than two weeks to go...........


No comments:

Post a Comment