Tuesday 30 April 2013

Post marathon post

The ballot for the 2014 London Marathon opened on Monday and closed in a record time! By 11:30 125,000 people had entered the ballot to try and gain entry. Not surprising it is difficult to get in, reported to be only a one in seven chance! I resisted entering with surprising ease. I had imagined I might just be tempted but not the case. I suspect my trip to Manchester on Sunday may have played a part.

A group of Eccleshill members travelled over to the home of the mighty reds to show our support of club mate (and my marathon training buddy) Claire. Her debut at what is billed as the flattest marathon course in the UK began early as it was a 9 am start. It was great to be able to be there before the start to share a coffee and last minute reassurances.  After she made her way to the start we made our way to the 2 mile point of the course and were able to cheer her on before moving to the 5 mile point from which we had easy access to the 24/25 mile point. It was standing at this late stage of the race which resurrected memories of the later stages of my marathon the week before and almost certainly staved off my desire to enter the VLM 2014 ballot!

So how long does one leave it before getting back to training. For me, a week off had felt much longer even though I had a mid week walk on the canal on Wednesday club night and I was eager to return to light training.  I started out with a very slow jog around Bradford parkrun last Saturday and felt great.

Monday training, speed & hills, was Bolton Lane Hill reps, I went along with a view to just taking it really easy which is just what I did.  Hopefully this will now stand me in good stead for another short gentle jog tomorrow and again on Friday.  On Saturday I will be attending Bradford parkrun to take part in what will now be an annual event and it is incredibly one year since the most wonderful, inspirational man Arthur James left us.  We at Eccleshill plan to all run together at the back of the field wearing our Arthur James tee shirts.

No comments:

Post a Comment